Thursday, July 19, 2012

Nature Walk

I just read the most inspiring post from Rubber Boots and Elf Shoes .  She uses nature in her classroom in the most amazing ways.  Her post reminded me of a nature scavenger hunt I send home every year.  The purpose is to have students and parents experience nature together.  The kiddos love this homework project and usually can't wait to share where they found their items.  We take the items and sort them into baskets.  We then sort them by size.  We plant the seeds to see what might grow.  We investigate all the items with magnifying glasses.  After all of this exploration the items all find their way into our science center. 
I wish I had pictures, but it is summer.  I did think I could share the scavenger hunt though.  The clip art is a mixture from Microsoft and DJ Inkers.   I hope this can inspire you in some small way. 
Don't forget, to show me some love and leave a comment.  I'm new at this, so advice is more than welcome.   
Nature Scavenger Hunt

9 comments:

  1. I loved that post too! And your scavenger hunt is great. I teach in the city, so nature is hard to come by. We took the kids to a national forest on a field trip and they acted like we'd gone to Mars. I live in the country though - cows populate my back yard - so I try to bring some of it back to the room.

    This year I've collected some natural objects to use as math counters and spelling resources. I've got some twitchy twigs from our last windstorm, some acorns, money plant leaves, and (not exactly natural, but in the realm) wiggly fishing lures.
    ~Heather
    The Meek Moose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your math counters ideas. I might need a lot more acorns. :)
      Cindy

      Delete
  2. I love your nature scavenger hunt to do at home as a family activity. I will be sending it home with my families to share at the beginning of the school year.

    We don't have acorns on the west coast of Canada. Anyone willing to send me acorns - I'll pay postage!

    sandi
    rubber boots and elf shoes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can send you acorns, but we will have to wait for fall. They are still green and growing. :)

      Delete
    2. yaaaaay - thank you.
      What can I send you from the West coast?

      sandi

      Delete
  3. I love all of these ideas. 80% of our Science has to be outdoors so this is perfect. Thank you so much for sharing. =)

    I am happy to be your newest follower. I would love for you to hop over and visit me when you get the chance. =)


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following. I hope you find something fun or useful.
      Cindy

      Delete
  4. Love this scavenger hunt! I gave your blog an award -- come by and pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love doing nature scavenger hunts with my kiddos & think it's so important to get kids outside exploring!! Your bittersweet hug picture is so beautiful! I'm your newest follower :)

    ✿Sue✿
    Science for Kids Blog

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for showing me some love! I LOVE comments.